Tuesday, January 14, 2014

21 Day Sugar Detox - Day 9 - Perfectly Grilled Chicken

Day 9 WOOOOO!!! Tomorrow I will have made it to the double digits AND almost the halfway point of this detox.  I'm so proud of me right now for not giving in or giving up when things got tough and exhausting and frustrating.  


I am that girl that "goes on a diet" for like a week and then cheats on the weekend and throws in the towel only to start over again months later.  I am that girl that says "I'll start going to the gym" and goes 4 or 6 times and then "gets too busy."  But not this time my friends.  Every day I stick to this detox I realize I DO have the determination to improve my health and it IS possible to make changes.  I'm starting to actually feel good about "me" and that in turn is making me a happier person.  What is different this time though?

For one, I'm not telling people I see every day that I'm doing a detox or a diet or anything.  Sometimes telling people (e.g. co-workers, acquaintances, friends, family), especially people you see on a regular basis, that you're trying to lose weight or get healthy results in people trying to sabotage your efforts.  I don't think saboteurs are malicious.  People just don't like change, it makes them uncomfortable.  People also don't like feeling bad about not taking their own steps to get healthy, which could lead to them subconsciously attempting to sabotage.  

Also, you really don't need  people questioning your every bite, arguing over what "diet" or "detox" is best or if it's a load of BS and you're wrong, or putting their nose in your every meal and asking you for details of everything you're eating.  Or worse, suggesting that "just one cookie" or "having a cheat day" is totally ok.  Lastly, studies show that the mere act of announcing your goals to others makes you less likely to accomplish them, because the sense of satisfaction you get from publicizing your intentions gives you a premature sense of accomplishment (see this research article on making your intentions public).   Lesson #7 - don't tell everyone you're on a detox or diet. 


I DID tell my boyfriend - obviously, we live together - that I wanted to do this and explained why.  He is in agreement that only good can come of this and has been very supportive.  In fact, he even hid the drink menu on our date night last Friday to discourage any cheating.  I also am blogging about it for anyone doing this detox or interested in doing this detox so you know how the average person might handle the detox.  These two things make me feel accountable, without having everyone I know in my business.  This can also extend to your good friends or family, if they are the type who will support, not sabotage.  Another way you can be accountable just to you, is to make a weekly weigh-in chart, measurement chart, or have something you can SEE that tracks your accomplishments.  For instance, I have these two jars in my bathroom so I can see where I'm at:

"Current Weight" and "Weight Lost" - each stone represents a pound.
I made them with a few supplies from Michael's craft store.  Super easy, and it makes me really want that "Weight Lost" jar to have more stones in it!  Lesson #8 - find a way to be accountable.  Even if you're just accountable to yourself. 

The last thing that's starting to really sink in, is that my body won't stay young forever, and quite frankly, it's the only body I have.  I don't get to go buy a new one when this one gets all crappy (maybe in the distant future but for now, no such luck).  Everything bad I put in my body is another mark against me.  And when the bad is outweighing the good, long-term-wise, things are not going to be good or happy.  So even though my self-esteem is pretty crappy and I haven't learned to love myself yet, I do care about myself.  And that's a start.  

Consider making changes for the better as an investment.  An investment in more time to do the things you love.  An investment in more time to be with the people you love.  An investment in not being on 18 drugs a day and being poked and prodded and hospitalized in your 40s or 50s.  Lesson #9 - care about yourself enough to give a damn about what's happening to your body, and realize that a lot of what happens to it is up to you.  

True story.
So anyway, those are the things that are different this time around, and what is helping me stick to this detox.  Now on to less serious things like my Day 9 progress!  

Today was pretty good overall.  I had more yogurt and another green tipped banana for breakfast, and then I had leftover spaghetti squash and caramelized onions for lunch.  For dinner, I decided to make "Perfectly Grilled Chicken Breast" with "Broccoli and Bacon Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing" out of the 21DSD book.   These recipes BOTH turned out delicious:

Yummy!
 But for tonight, I will share with you:

PERFECTLY GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST
  •  4 chicken breasts
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tbsp. coconut oil
  • 2-4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Place a chicken breast on your cutting board, so the short side is closest to you (the chicken breast shouldn't be sideways basically). Place your hand on top of the chicken.  With your knife, slice horizontally through the center of the chicken so you're cutting the chicken in half horizontally (essentially butterflying the chicken).  Slice almost completely through the chicken breast, leaving it connected on the other end so you can open it like a book.  Repeat this with the remaining chicken breasts.

In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Add the chicken and turn to coat evenly; allow to marinate at least 5 minutes, but no longer than an hour.


While the chicken is marinating, heat a grill pan or grill to medium heat.  Brush the hot grill with coconut oil.  Cook the chicken about 5-6 minutes per side.  When the chicken starts turning white on the sides and middle, flip it.  Once you take the chicken off the grill, brush it with olive oil and let it rest for 5 minutes.


Serve it with a delicious veggie side, and you'll have not-your-mama's-chicken-and-broccoli!


Lastly, in the TMI realm, I keep forgetting to say this...


So far my digestion has been fine.  According to the 21DSD book and daily emails, some people may experience bloating, diarrhea, or constipation.  I have not had these issues so I guess it's one of those individual things.  I do try to have a balance of protein and fiber in my meals though, and you'll get a decent balance by following the recipes in the book, which may help with those issues. 







No comments:

Post a Comment