Saturday, January 18, 2014

21 Day Sugar Detox - Day 13 - Asparagus 2 Ways

According to my daily 21DSD email, I should be noticing improvements in my mood and energy and should "ride the wave."  I feel pretty much the same though except for the whole soy incident.  Sorry to burst any bubbles but yeah, been pretty consistent!  I still have cravings for fruit and pastries and alcohol, but it gets easier to ignore them the longer I eat healthy.

As I mentioned previously, we got a TON of groceries today for plenty of healthy eating to come.  I had the Apple Pie Smoothie out of the 21DSD Cookbook this morning.  I forgot to add water and didn't have the protein powder (costs too much) but it was pretty tasty!  I didn't take a picture because it wasn't that attractive looking (the cinnamon turned it a brown color).  The apple made it kind of fibrous though so you sort of drank/chewed it?  I also made bacon for P but then he insisted I have some eggs and bacon with him so it was a big big breakfast (no need for lunch because of that!).  

For dinner P decided to grill some steaks so I made asparagus two ways to go with.  We got a lot of asparagus.  So here are two easy quick ways to make asparagus!

LOTS of asparagus!
ROASTED ASPARAGUS
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • cooking oil of your choice, I used EVOO
  • Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Preheat oven to 400ºF.  Clean your asparagus and trim the ends.  If you've never trimmed asparagus before, you want to chop off the woody ends.  If it's hard to cut through, move up the stalk a bit, you don't want to have any woody parts left because you'll notice and it's not fun to chew on.  Spread the asparagus out in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with your cooking oil, and sprinkle the seasoning on the asparagus.  Use your hands and kind of mix it up so all the asparagus is coated with oil and seasoning.  It should look something like this:


Cook the asparagus for 20 minutes.  After 10 minutes, shake the pan or use a spatula to turn the asparagus to prevent one side from burning.  When it's done, serve it up and try not to choke while you scarf it down!  P.S. if you don't like spicy stuff, use some other seasoning blend that you enjoy (I like it with a garlic blend too but P prefer's Tony Chachere's).

PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
  • 12-18 asparagus spears
  • 6-9 prosciutto slices (you need half as many slices of prosciutto as asparagus)
  • cooking oil of your choice
Take each slice of prosciutto and slice it in half lengthwise (sorry these pictures are bad, I really need to find a solution to my weird kitchen lighting).


Put the slice of prosciutto at about a 45º angle from the asparagus spear.


Then start wrapping the asparagus spear up (it's super easy!).


Once you have them all wrapped up, heat some oil in a pan over medium-hot heat (my stove was set just a bit above medium, you don't want it burning hot).


 Depending on the size of your pan you might want to do this in two batches.  If you put too much asparagus in the pan and keep the pieces too close together, they'll steam instead of crisp.  You want to crisp up each side of the asparagus, cooking about 1.5-2 minutes per side. 

When you're done serve immediately.  And there you have it, asparagus two ways:


Hope you enjoy these super easy recipes!








No comments:

Post a Comment