Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bonjour! Here's an Easy Quiche Lorraine

Hi, my name is Cassidy. I'm a lawyer (trust me it's not glamorous).  Although I like lawyering well enough I am always striving to be awesome at home as well as out in the world. I also love parentheticals. But anyway, I spend a lot of time shopping, cooking, pinning, crafting, and trying to improve myself while being a good girlfriend and dog mom.

Here are my "babies" being all cute.
Moving on, I have no clue about blogging. I figured that I'd give it a go so my friends and family could learn some fun things and see what trouble I'm getting into next.

With that in mind, I'm going to share with you a super easy but fancy sounding recipe from Pinterest: Quiche Lorraine


This is an ugly picture of quiche from the pin because I made this BEFORE I started the blog and was dumb and didn't take a photo.

Your quiche should be a little golden brown on top. ANYWAY...

I followed this recipe pretty closely with a couple minor changes, mostly for convenience and/or cost effectiveness. For instance, I used a frozen 9-inch deep dish pie crust (convenience) and since I had no idea what 6 oz of bacon looked like I grabbed 8 slices, which worked just fine. I also didn't use fresh spices (cost).

QUICHE LORRAINE
  • 1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie crust
  • 8 slices of bacon
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper ( I used black since I didn't have white, it turned out fine)
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (I used some McCormick ground nutmeg)
  • 1 c. grated Gruyere or Swiss (I used Gruyere - to get 1 cup you need about a 4 oz block)
Prebake the frozen pie crust per the instructions on the package (mine said to let the crust thaw 10-20 minutes, poke holes in the bottom with a fork, and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes). After you prebake the crust, set it aside.

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, and then drain on some paper towels. Discard the fat (not down the sink!) or save for future use. When the bacon cools, crumble it.

Arrange the bacon evenly over the bottom of the crust.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, and half-and-half. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk to combine. Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake until the custard is golden, puffed, and set yet still slightly wiggly in the center, 30-35 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.

Tip: cover the crust edges with foil until the last 10 minutes of cooking. Otherwise the crust cooks really dark and might even burn. Nobody ever tells you that but it really does make a difference!

If you have leftover quiche for some bizarre reason just throw some plastic wrap on it and refrigerate it.  It reheats pretty well and tastes just as good reheated.

Ok, I realize I didn't follow this pin perfectly, but I did a pretty close job of it. And if you really want to be fancy schmancy there are directions via the pin link above that will tell you just what to do. Now go make some delicious quiche!







No comments:

Post a Comment